Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Off To Barcelona

Its been a whirlwind week here in London as Maddy, Lauren and I prepare to go to Barcelona for Easter Break. Our program is also winding down, so have made our final list of things to do in London and are fully committed to getting everything done before we leave. 

Work this week has been the usual. However, on Monday night something unusual did happen. The boss of Entertainment and Life and Style organized a bowling night. It was just kind of supposed to be a bonding thing for people, which is always a nice thing for a workplace to do. 

Anyway, the interns with Ents and Life and Style, one other besides me, were invited to go along as well. The evening, of course, started with drinks in a pub and then progressed to bowling in the Piccadilly Circus area. My mom's first response when I told her I was going bowling was similar to mine, "They have bowling there?" 

Apparently they do, however, the place we went was the most touristy place I've been to in London so far and I felt like I had been transported back to the States. The bowling alley was EXACTLY the same as any you would see in the US. It was a Brunswick bowling alley, with the same everything we're used to in America. It was a very bizarre feeling, so say the least. It was a very fun evening to spend with my colleagues. I will miss them and MSN a lot. 

Wednesday was another weekly field trip. Today we went to the Globe Theatre, which is theoretically Shakespeare's Globe, although its been rebuilt a million times since Shakespeare's time, and was mostly recently rebuilt just 10 years ago. It would be really cool to see a show there, but the season doesn't start until after we're back home. Our tour guide was an actor who worked at the Globe so it was very interesting to hear about the Globe from his point-of-view. I guess it was a cool thing to see in London. 

Faced with a free afternoon, I decided to go next door to Tate Modern, because everyone loves it and I hadn't been there yet. Let me first say that it is in the world's ugliest building--right on the river and used to be a factor of some sort. I'm not a  huge fan of modern art, so my judgment may not be the best to go by, but I did like most of it, to the surprise of me and my flatmates. There were a few of the impressionists, and I just walked through the very modern stuff, although some of it was cool. 

After that, I did some souvenir shopping and picked up a sandwich for lunch to eat in Green Park. It was a pretty mellow day, which was a relief since I spent a lot of my day working on my journalism group presentation due soon after we get back from break. I'm not looking forward to it. It is on free daily newspapers in London, which is a very interesting topic, and one I picked myself, but I do not like presentations, so it is not fun. 

Anyway, I leave for Barcelona on Friday afternoon and return late afternoon Tuesday. Then back to work and class for just a week before everything wraps up and we return to the States in about two and a half weeks from now. Sad how fast the time has gone here, but I plan on making the most of my last time here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment