Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bound for Italia

Another normal week in the work force here in London. After getting back from Paris, we immediately got acclimated into our London routine for the week. However, that will not be lasting too long, as me, Maddie and Lauren are now Italia-bound from Saturday for the following eight days. I’m really excited for Italy. We are going to Rome first, then Florence, then Venice. It should be quite a good time.

This week has been pretty normal. Instead of our weekly field trip on Wednesday we had our mid-term internship reviews. I cannot believe my time here is half over. I can already tell that it will be difficult to get acclimated back to the US, as I love London so much. My review went, somewhat surprisingly, very well. I really enjoy MSN and apparently they enjoy having me, which is always nice to hear. Afterwards, I decided to take the day for myself and treated myself to my favorite meal here—a full English breakfast. Then, I wandered around my favorite area of London, Covent Garden, Leicester Square (pronounced Lester) and places around there. I walked through some parks and through the area before retiring for the day to laundry and Italy plans.

This is unrelated, but I am very depressed that I missed the Oscars on Sunday. I would have had to come into work at 1 in the morning to watch it and stay up all night. With no Internet in the flat, I have not even indulged in watching YouTube clips of Hugh Jackman (who was supposed to be quite good) or hear any sappy speeches. You know how I feel about award shows. I’m still upset I missed it, but I guess there has to be a few downsides to life abroad.

Work has been the same as always. There is a celebrity who got her fame on a reality TV show here. Her name is Jade Goody and despite all her controversy on TV (it is reality TV, after all) she is 27 with cancer and is about to die within the next few weeks. All of England is very depressed for her, even though the press on her is kind of out of control, and she herself is feeding the tabloids much of the information. Very controversial. Anyway, I’ve spent a lot of time covering her death before the fact. Very depressing. For an article, I went through the MSN message board where people can post whatever they want to say about Jade. There were over 400 PAGES of messages! Many were very sad. That is an interesting story here that I believe is just beginning to get some press in the States.

Anyway, that’s about all that’s new here. Like I said before, won’t be blogging until I’m back from Italy a week from Sunday and will have limited phone/internet abilities. Ciao (goodbye in Italian)!

No comments:

Post a Comment